Skip to main content

tv   Martin Bashir  MSNBC  April 20, 2011 3:00pm-4:00pm EDT

3:00 pm
explosion, a geine human tragedy. >> one year on, a fiery explosion aims 11 lives and leads to the worst environmental disaster in u.s. history. should drilling continue. where's all of that bp money. plus, american high. prescription drug abuse reaches epidemic levels. can anything curb american america's insatiable appetite for painkillers. and the mouth that roared, andrew breitbart won't apologize for the individual dwlee cost this woman her job. will her new lawsuit give her the last laugh? the conservative crusader joining us live. all of that just ahead. but we begin with breaking news 0 out of libya where photojournalist and award nominated tim heathering died from wounds suffered in a mortar
3:01 pm
attack. the shelling took place in misrata, scene of a bat and forth struggle between rebel forces and those loyal to gadhafi. meth hetherington nominated as co-director of a documentary that takes look at day-to-day life of american soldiers in afghanistan. stephanie gosk is in libya with the very latest. good evening, stephanie. >> reporter: good evening, mart. we're learning more details. it turns out it wasn't actually a mortar attack but a rocket propelled grenade taeattack. there were four journalists in them, a journalist in grave condition, another in serious condition and the fourth is report lid not at any risk of losing his life. we've been reporting all week on the intense shelling in the city
3:02 pm
of misrata and hetherington himself posted on his twitter account that there was indiscriminate firaç in the cit just yesterday. >> stephanie gosk, thank you very much. please stay safe yourself as your move about that country. >> reporter: thank you. now to one of the world's largest man made disasters and one year later answers concerning the bp deepwater horizon spill murky as hundreds of millions of crude that we all watched gush out into the gulf of mexico. the gulf of mexico is on fire now and at least 12 works are missing from that platform. >> came out of nowhere. left several workers critically injured and the vigil is on for people working in a dangerous job. >> the oil sleek in the gulf of mexico has grown to more than 1900 square miles larger than
3:03 pm
state of delaware. >> president obama came through here, got his first look, calling it a potentially unprecedented environmental disaster. >> reporter: engineers trying to come up with some type of solution. tonight bp has the okay to go ahead and use chemical disperse ans under the water at the leak site while the containment dome sits ready and waiting on the sea floor. >> bp agreed to release a live stream video of the massive oil leak in the gulf of mexico, after ed markey and other lawmakers pressured the company to show the video. >> it took three months to cap that spewing well head but now one year on, some are asking whether we can say the catastrophe is over. many gulf coast residents continue to suffer from the economic impact. anne thompson, she covered the spill from the beginning and she join us from venice, louisiana. good afternoon, anne.
3:04 pm
>> reporter: hi, martin. i think i can answer the question you posed, which is, is this catastrophe over? i think the answer down here is certainly not. let's talk about, first of all, the environment. from an environmental standpoint, it is going to take years to find out what the impact of all of thatç oil, so 4.1 million barrels that went into the gulf of mexico and then another almost 2 million gallons of dispersant used to break up that oil. we're seeing all kinds of mysteries down here if you will, dolphin stranding, another way of saying dolphin deaths, particularly baby dolphins. their numbers of deaths are five times as high this year as opposed to historical records. fishermen reporting seeing red snapper with black sores on bodies and rotted fins. is that connected to the oil spin? you have the whole issue of coastal erosion which has been a problem down here for decades. add oil to that you exacerbate
3:05 pm
it, you accelerate it. the question is now, along with cleaning up the oil, does the country have the will and, more importantly, will the country spend the money to restore this coastline to where it needs to be. >> anne, in addition to the environmental effects, very briefly if you can, i'm assuming that you've seen evidence of profound damage to the economies around that area. >> reporter: oh, talk to a fisherman, come down here, you can hang out at the venice marina, and they will tell you, yes, they can catch oysters, crabs, shrimp. the problem is they don't have a national market for it. they can sell their wea wares t community as long the gulf but the rest of the community is suspicious of gulf seafood because of all the oil and dispersant that went into the waters. without the national market, they don't have a real business. and in fact, as one oyster man
3:06 pm
said, it's like an iowa corn farm who are grows his corn in iowa if he could sell it to his hometown, that's not much of a business. they need to sell worldwide. the same is true with the fishermen who catch both the shrimps and the crabs and the oyster and the fin fish in the gulf. >> anne thompson, thank you. let's turn now to our panel of experts. i'm joined by a physicsç professor at the city university of new york. with us new orleans, a professor of marine science at the university of the southern mississippi. good afternoon to both of you. doctor, can i start with you? we were told initially the important thing was to wait, be patient, and then we'll eventually see what the impact of this spill's going to be. it's a year now. what is the impact? >> well, the good news is that mother nature, not bp, but mother nature is taking its course. a lot of the oil has been degraded, dispersed, as they say the solution to pollution is
3:07 pm
delusiil delusion. on different markers things look good. the bad news is we don't know long-term effects. what about all of the disperse ents that went out? we are literally the guinea pigs. plus, of course the psychological damage, economic damage. that could last for a generation. and of course the lessons learned. the same people who created the accident are still there. >> we'll come to the lessons learned in a moment. doctor, you were the first to discover the huge plumes of oil under the sea. are there worrying signs that the oil still deep in the gulf? >> well, there is clearly oil presence still deep in the gulf. the plumes that we discovered a year ago are pretty much gone. we were out there in september and october with the same instruments, more sensitive instruments, and there are only traces of that material left. however, there is a layer of
3:08 pm
material on the sea floor that's very suspicious. does have some hydrocarbon, other organic matter in there about we're exploring that, trying to figure out what's going on. right, the dolphin deaths are alarming, not only that, turtles, lotted of dead turtles, far higher numbers than is normal. and so, we're concerned about that because here are two animals that both breathe air. they've got come to the surface. interact with whatever is on the surface. we're concerned there may be something going on affecting them as well. >> you suggesting, then, that the cleanup operation, as it were, almostç superficial when you could see the oil united states gone, everyone was happy yet pointing at this deep seabed level of contamination of pollutant, that is right? >> the cleanup activities that were executed there in the marshes were absolutely necessary. the skimming work that was done near the well that did a great job. i'm not criticizing any of nap the issue is that that oil when coming out of the well went a
3:09 pm
lot of different directions. some of it came to the surface. some of it was degraded, weathered naturally, some of it evaporat evaporated. actually a lot evaporated, went into the air. a lot on the surface, got washed into the coastal environment where it did the most damage and some stayed below the surface. what we're concerned about is that fraction that stayed below the surface, how big that is fraction if what form is it? what's going to become of it? what impact is it having on the organisms that live down there in we're getting lots of oil washing up on beaches on our barrier islands. where is all of that oil coming from? what is it doing prior to the time it washes up on the beaches? we have more questions than answers, clearly. >> doctor, he refers to the oil. but what about the 1.8 million gallons of chemical dispersant spread into the ocean is? is that a. or is that now a hindrance? >> it was initially a help. it helped speed up the grading of the oil but it's potentially
3:10 pm
a time bop bomb. we really don't know. we're witnessing an ongoing science experiment and experimenting with the people of the gulf health. i think there should be extra investigations. this is an ongoing science experiment. we should be allocating resources to trace what is happening, how will this get into the food chain? how will this wind up on people's dinner table? >> thank you for your expertise. your book "the physics of the future" currently available in hard back. next, too close for comfort. even the president's own family can't escape problems with america's air traffic control towers.
3:11 pm
3:12 pm
3:13 pm
an investigation is now under way into how a plane carrying first lady michelle obama came frightening close to
3:14 pm
a military cargo aircraft, forcing the first lady's fleen abort its landing. we've obtained this aud yoef ioe pilot's interaction with take-off until they realize a serious mistake has been made. >> one foxtrot, potomac. >> the incident one of several recent and unsettling mishaps involving air traffic controllers. joining me now to offer expertise, michael boyd. good afternoon, michael. >> good afternoon, sir. >> how serious was this incident? just tell us in detail, how serious was it? >> in terms of a danger to the first lady it really wasn't. it was broken protocol but the danger is that it happened and it happens all the time. we don't know how many times. the faa doesn't report it. we have a system that allowed it to happen and that's the seriousness of it. it could be go on all over the country, for all we know. >> you say it happens all the time. you'reç using that phrase somewhat loosely.
3:15 pm
can you really say with confidence that it happens all the time? >> we know errors are happening all the time. we know controller errors are up this year over last year. that's what they've reported. and if you go back and look at the shan nan anyone begnan nann they report airs we have problems that need to be fixed. airplanes bumping into each other is a serious matter. >> the faa just implemented this new set of rules. do you think there's been a widespread lack of professionalism in the towers because we've had controllers are falling asleep, even watching movies on the job. >> that's the outrageous part. on the job, this cleveland controller was on the job, with a screen in front of him, and a movie playing. i mean, other people had to know about it, management had to know about it. so this is something that wasn't just a one-off. this kind of thing has gone throughout the organization. that's why it's got get remanaged. >> does that suggest that
3:16 pm
there's just been a profound lack of professional discipline in this particular industry? >> the air traffic controllers i know, these are professional people. but they work with an organization, at the top people running it are political appointees and the middle people involved qualified. when you look at errors that we've seen over the last three weeks this is a problem that goes coast-to-coast. >> i don't want to become alarmist but there's a sense that, given the number of incidents, there's an increasing probability because of a simple mathematical equation that there's going to be some kind of catastrophe. do you think passengers should be really worried now? >> i don't think really worried. remember, these are not typical. the average controller work very hard, they're voe professional. and they're trying to get it done. it's at the top where we've had mismana mismanagement. we have planes land on top of each other. we've had controllers not there
3:17 pm
when you had wind shear in dallas-ft. worth. we've had accidents, not recently butç accidents becaus of failures that the level and one is too many. >> news today of the expanded version of passengers bill of rights. we really expect this to provide any kind of help in? >> oh, no, no. making airlines refund money for baggage isn't going to fix anything. so, no. those kind of things won't fix anything whatsoever as far as the passengers' safety in the sky is concerned. >> at least ten incidents in recent weeks. do you think it's time for u.s. transportation secretary himself ray lahood to, as it were, fall on his sword? >> i'm not a big fan of ray lahood because i don't think he's particularly good at his job. but we do have an faa administrator now that has taken his sword out and starting to cut things and that we what we need. what needs to be done, as i have
3:18 pm
said before, is in the process of getting done and i think we're going it see, a year from now we're not going to see these incidents. >> you believe that confidently, in a year's time no more of this? >> with the people, the men at the top of the faa i believe he's not going to let this go on. he's not just a political appointee, he's a professional, and we haven't had that in years. >> michael boyd, thanks so much for joining us. next, the first lady and the military transport too close for comfort. when will spring finally arrive? s s it hit helps the lhe of companipanies like the she smallestt ofof startups.ups. th ththat lets yos your employeloy, pa and custcustomersvate and sharee so you can can unleash tsh the of your mor
3:19 pm
your peopleople. if your racing thoughts keep you awake... sleep is here, on the wings of lunesta. and if you wake up often in the middle of the night... rest is here, on the wings of lunesta. lunesta helps you fall asleep and stay asleep, so you can wake up feeling rested. when taking lunesta, don't drive or operate machinery until you feel fully awake. walking, eating, driving, or engaging in other activities while asleep, without remembering it the next day, have been reported. abnormal behaviors may include aggressiveness, agitation, hallucinations or confusion. in depressed patients, worsening of depression, including risk of suicide, may occur. alcohol may increase these risks. allergic reactions, such as tongue or throat swelling, occur rarely and may be fatal. side effects may include unpleasant taste, headache, dizziness and morning drowsiness. ask your doctor if lunesta is right for you.
3:20 pm
get lunesta for a $0 co-pay at lunesta.com. sleep well, on the wings of lunesta. ♪ imagine zero pollutants in our environment. or zero dependency on foreign oil. ♪ this is why we at nissan built a car inspired by zero. because zero is worth everything. the zero gas, 100% electric nissan leaf. innovation for the planet. innovation for all.
3:21 pm
my colleague, richard lui, in the news room with new video of wildfires in texas. how much land has been burn so far? >> more than 1 million acres so far destroyed in north texas. it's about an area larger than
3:22 pm
the entire state of rhode island. 150 homes have already burned to the ground there. now 400 more residents near the fire line are evacuating today. the fires began friday in the possum kingdom lake area. most of the state in the middle of a drought. firefighters hoping for rain but for now, no signs of the fire slowing down. developing today for you, new information on the u.s. army private suspected of giving classified data it wikileaks. man willing be transferred but they will not say whether the move is in response to accusations of prisoner abuse. human rights groups have claimed manning was being mentally and fphysically abused in virginia. reports confirm manning is en route to his news home. martin, with all of that happen, back to you. good to see you, by the way. this hour, there's another round of severe thunderstorms
3:23 pm
hitting the nation. weather channel meteorologist carl parker has the forecast. >> very different story today compared to what we saw yesterday. the big upper low that caused all of those problems yesterday is lifting up past the lakes and into cancanada. separating from the deepest moisture and the greatest area of warmth. stronger storms across the south and there may be strong storms on tale of that in the northeast. right now the watches are located exclusively in parts of the southeast. from georgia, alabama, intzç mississippi, back into arkansas. already been reports of very large hail and that's going to be primary threat, large hail and damaging wind. not as much of a tornado threat with the upper level low off to the north and to the east. part nor ward in the northeast, not much going on now. there are showers but along the line we may see strong storms developing and there's an outside chance that we'll get tornados across the northeast today. here's the broader view of what
3:24 pm
we're expecting. severe weather across the northeast from new york down to d.c., eastern pennsylvania, and then a very broad area of wind and hail through a good part of the south. we certainly could use that rain especially in the western part of texas. >> thanks, carl. coming up, andrew breitbart, the conservative blogger, now the subject of a lawsuit by shirley sherrod. he joins us live. and the u.s. bathing in prescription drugs. can anything curb america's appetite for addictive painkillers? ♪
3:25 pm
we could've gone a more traditional route... ... but it wouldn't have been nearly as memorable. ♪ [ male announcer ] in 2011, at&t is at work, building up our wireless network all across america. we're adding new cell sites... increasing network capacity... and making a substantial investment to improve your wireless network experience. from a single phone call to the most advanced data download, we're covering more people in more places than ever before in an effort to give you the best network possible. at&t. rethink possible. oh. see that? great job.
3:26 pm
ok, now let's get ready for the ball... here it comes... here you go. good catch. perfect! alright now for the best part. let's see your pour. ohhh...let's get those in the bowl. these are way too good to waste, right? oh, yea. let's go for it... around the bowl and... [ male announcer ] share what you love... with who you love. mmmmm. kellogg's frosted flakes... they're g-r-r-reat! good catch dad. [ laughs ]
3:27 pm
he calls himself a reluctant cultural warrior but andrew breitbart has always seemed ready to rush to the front lines. depending on your view, he's also beenç described as a conservative propagandaist and tea party loyalist. new book "righteous indignation, excuse me while i save the
3:28 pm
world." in the book you'll find scarcely a word about one of his most infamous episodes involving shirley sherrod, the former usda official fired after a video of her posted on a bright bart web side. sherrod is suing andrew breitbart for racismfter show, quote, a deceptively edited clip. andrew breitbart joins us now. >> i don't except. >> in your book, which i've read, i'm not religious, and i'm certainly no theologian but one thing in religion that speaks to the me the idea of absolute truth. we start by uncovering the truth and telling everyone about it. so that's -- those are your words. >> absolutely. >> let's start then with establishing a single important truth. did you watch the entire video of shirley sherrod's speech before you posted what were 136 seconds of it online?
3:29 pm
>> no. >> was that a responsible thing to do as a journalist who is concerned to excavate the truth? >> i guarantee you that every single day msnbc does that all the time. in fact, msnbc was the place that cut off a black person's head and said that the tea party was racist because they were coming to tea parties with guns on them and msnbc cut the actual head off the guy and the guy was black. is that truthful journalism? >> i want here and i don't know the details. >> look, the thing is, the thing is -- >> can i go back to the point? >> i'll go back to the point. >> back to the point. the actual speech was 43 minutes long. >> right. >> was it remiss, was it remiss, on reflection to post 136 seconds of that speech? >> people put clips up all the time. and that clip explainedso something very km =iq9q that even include her -- included her
3:30 pm
narrative of realizing it not about black versus white, it's about rich versus poor. and you know who came to me defense during that period of time and i still to this day haven't thankd him for that? chris matthews. he flummoxed howard dean. included in the piece that everybody took selectively edited out of context in the piece that went with two videos i wrote eventually her base ex-humanity informs her to help the white farmer. what happens is, is that other media took it and cut off that part and talked about it on tv. so i ended up being captive to the fact that other people ed it out my entire 1400-word argument -- >> at the time that you posted the excerpt, 136 seconds, you wrote, shirley sherrod had, quote, racially discriminated against a white farm. >> read the whole -- why are you selectively editing out the entire piece?
3:31 pm
>> and the naacp audience approved with murmers of recognition and agreement. now we have you saying something similar on camera. let's take a look. >> i think that the clip, as it exists, proved precisely the news point that needed to be made. >> what was that news point. >> i had been battling the naacp against the false allegation that the tea party is racist. the entire 1400-word piece maked that argument. i hit the target, the naacp is affirmed in shirley sherrod's day one statement where she said, this is the naacp's fault and she -- and the naacp apologized for the audience's reaction. it's significant that they apologized for the audience's reaction because the naacp's head, ben jealous, for the week before, attacked the tea party based upon the false promise it yelled the n word at congressmen
3:32 pm
carson and lewis. i have four videos that show it didn't happen. nbc will not show the videos. >> andrew, let's stay focused. you said in your original text in that video, miss sherrod, i'm quoting you, admits that she discriminates against people due to their race. >> precisely. >> that's what -- >> in the piece she did. the audience -- >> please allow me to explain what i'm going to put to you. that was the dire metric opposite truth of what she said. what she actually said was that she went on to go out of her way to assist and her experience was an example of not discriminating on the base zawiyis of race. miss sherrod admit she's discriminates against people due to their race. that's a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth. >> no. i wrote in the piece that convenient actually her basic humanity informs her to help the white farm somewhere -- >> i'm quoting your words.
3:33 pm
>> and read the rest of the piece. >> how can you claim in your book, to be so committed to truth telling -- >> i told you the truth. >> how can you do that? >> i told you the truth. >> when you publish something. >> you don't want to hear what i told you. >> i'm listening to you, sir. >> i told you, eventually her basic humanity informed her to help the white farmer, and i kept in the part of the arc. the point was to show the naacp noo has no right to judge if it can't keep its own house in order. that was the point of the clip. >> if your work was so balanced why were you forced resigned. >> who said it was balance? i came with a point to show na the naacp was in no position to judge the tea party. that is exactly what happened. listen to me, the -- nobody went after -- nobody went after president obama. >> andrew, even -- >> after -- >> can i -- even glenn beck, even glenn beck who happily
3:34 pm
believes the notion an islamic kalla fate is being constructed, in his words from new zealand to nairobi, even he says that you deliberately misrepresented -- >> he's lying. >> shirley sherrod. >> -- the reason why he did -- >> he's right, isn't he? >> he insinuated -- you want me to answer the question? please do. did you misrepresent -- >> i'm answering. glenn beck said andrew needs to apologize. he insinuated he didn't touch the story. they said the reason the white house fired her was because they were worried she was -- that this was going to be on the glenn beck show. glenn beck, in fact, ripped into shirley sherrod in his morning radio show. he was the one that diverted attention away from the context the naacp angle and made it about shirley sherrod. >> an interesting argument. >> and on his -- the air he cut out the part where she said that i kept in the video that said it's not about black versus
3:35 pm
white. it's about rich versus poor, which is her redemptive arc, which compliments, which was in the piece, it said eventually her humanity helped her inform the white farmer. answer were the president of the united states when told she helped the white farmer, did not rehire her? it took another day for that to happen. the reason why this happened, msnbc told me, they said andrew breitbart was responsible for black farms are and the lawsuit -- >> let's go back to the book. >> you don't want to know the truth. >> of course i do. >> you don't. >> in the book you say that one of the biggest influences on your inlech tule and social development a man you call professor rush limbaugh, right. >> very, yes influential. >> mr. limbaugh, some call humorous, other owancivanc offe impersonation of the president of china. you have asked kevin pezzi to
3:36 pm
ask -- >> you are getting your media matter talking points. once i found out who kevin was he submitted a piece -- >> andrew -- >> the second we found out -- >> allow me to finish. mr. pezy likes to use racist epithets like japs and chinks and maintains that african-americans shouldç be grateful be -- >> that's deplorable. it's deplorable. it's deplorable, mart. why are you doing guilt by association? the point i'm -- >> you're selectively editing out i got rid of him once i found out about that. he submitted an article and you're selectively editing history right now. >> allowing me to take you back to what pi was just saying. you take 136 seconds and post it. you employ an individual who takes views like that or use an individual -- >> i didn't -- it was a blog. there are thousands of people. >> you use his views. >> why are -- i didn't fire him.
3:37 pm
he was a blogger who posted something on my site. once i found out what this guy was about i got rid of him immediately. i took the piece off of the site. >> i'm trying -- >> you want to do guilt by association. >> i'm trying to follow the narrative of your own book. >> yes. >> what i'm saying is -- >> what have i not told the truth about? what have i not told the truth by. >> we have had rush limbaugh. >> what have i not told the truth about? you started this off -- >> i want to ask a question. >> what have i not told the truth about? >> let me ask you a question. this week, marilyn davenport, republican official, in orange county, sent an e-mail to a number of colleagues featuring president obama dressed and in a family of apes. >> are you asking me about this? twha do vie to do with it? >> i what tonight ask you what do you think of that image. >> it's deplore be. it's reprehensible.
3:38 pm
you're trying to in"inceptio in context of the conversation is what the naacp and the democratic party has been doing to the tea party for the last year. >> i haven't spoken to any -- >> the entire context of this -- the subtext of this interview. >> when you published shirley sherrod's comments, the 136 seconds, and your voluminous article as you rightly point out, why didn't you stand up and defend her and say, actually, she's not a racist? why did you write things like she's racially discriminated against a white farmer. >> the rest of theç video show different things that were -- that illuminated something that was not as black and white. >> right. >> as you make it to be. >> some of the information we don't use others -- >> why don't you hold her accountable for saying that i wanted to bring black people, back to slavery? she, on day one, said this was the naacp's fault. a week later she said, this has nothing do with the naacp, this is about andrew breitbart. she got -- somebody told her we
3:39 pm
need to target andrew breitbart at this point. day one the naacp understood perfectly well what the context of the video was and i successfully stopped their waging the campaign that msnbc was party to try to falsely frame the -- pardon the tea party as racist. >> let me love on to the book. i'm trying to focus out on your book. in the book you talk about bloggers, citizen journalists who have imemployed the president's autobiography, dreams from my father, was written by, quote, i'm quoting, the domestic terrorist bill a ayers. >> first of all -- >> any evidence -- >> the articles on that are very compelling. it's clearly a -- >> what is the evidence? >> it's clearly a theory. >> what is the evidence. >> and i say i believe it. you're not going to shut down dissent. >> the evidence of the fact -- >> read the article. i believe that -- i believe -- >> what's the evidence? >> i believe it's a compelling
3:40 pm
argument. it's a complex argument. i would say -- >> mr. ayers denied doing this. >> he also said he has. >> he's denying ever ghost writing the autobiography. >> he also said that he has. also said that he glass we have a problem. >> -- >> i'm allowed to have an opinion. >> we have shirley sherrod, rush, you. >> rush didn't do anything. >> people like -- suggesting that they're ghost writers. do you see how -- >> there's nothing wrong -- if you read through my entire book -- you didn't read my book. media matters read it for you. >> i've read the whole thing. >> every point that you've ared is straight out of georgeç sor' funded and john podesta's media matters. you're playing the role of dupe of john podesta and media matters. when i appear on msnbc, a lot of times there's eric bullard to be right there. those are talking points trait out of media matters. >> you and i are having a conversation about the truth.
3:41 pm
>> no, we're not. media matters is over there. george soros is sitting over there and bill ayers is sitting here. you have agenda-driven journalism. i support it. i support it. i support msnbc. i support keith olbermann when he was fined by msnbc because the implication that he was giving money was somehow ethically wrong when everybody knows where he comes from. everybody knows where you're coming from. i believe -- i believe in a back and forth. >> andrew, thank you very much, indeed, for joining us today. the prescription drug abuse running rampant in every american home.othin ♪ imagine zero pollutants in our environment. or zero dependency on foreign oil. ♪ this is why we at nissan built a car inspired by zero. because zero is worth everything. the zero gas, 100% electric nissan leaf. innovation for the planet. innovation for all.
3:42 pm
thank you very much. you're on e-trade. huntin' down stocks, bonds, etfs. oh i love etfs. look at you. why don't you show me your portfolio? i'd love to... i already logged out. oh no, it's easy, actually, to get back... see where it says history? there's a history? yeah, it'll take you right back to the site you were just on. well the last site... [ british vo ] and now, cycle complete. the male wildebeest returns to propagate the herd. [ animal grunts ] can you forward me this link? [ male announcer ] e-trade. investing unleashed. when i got my medicare card, i realized i needed an aarp... medicare supplement insurance card, too. medicare is one of the great things about turning 65, but it doesn't cover everything. in fact, it only pays up to 80% of your part b expenses. if you're already on or eligible for medicare, call now to find out how an aarp... medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company,
3:43 pm
helps cover some of the medical expenses... not paid by medicare part b. that can save you from paying up to thousands of dollars... out of your own pocket. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans... exclusively endorsed by aarp. when you call now, you'll get this free information kit... with all you need to enroll. put their trust in aarp medicare supplement insurance. plus you'll get this free guide to understanding medicare. the prices are competitive. i can keep my own doctor. and i don't need a referral to see a specialist. call now to get a free information kit. plus you'll get this free guide to understanding medicare. and the advantages don't end there. choose from a range of medicare supplement plans... that are all competitively priced. we have a plan for almost everyone, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget. with all medicare supplement plans, there are virtually no claim forms to fill out. plus you can keep your own doctor and hospital that accepts medicare. and best of all, these plans are...
3:44 pm
the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. when they told me these plans were endorsed by aarp... i had only one thing to say... sign me up. call the number on your screen now... and find out about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan. you'll get this free information kit... and guide to understanding medicare, to help you choose the plan that's right for you. as with all medicare supplement plans, you can keep your own doctor and hospital that accepts medicare, get help paying for what medicare doesn't... and save up to thousands of dollars. call this toll-free number now. the white house launching a major new effort to curb prescription drug abuse underscoring the fastest growing epidemic in the united states. alarming, new statistics reveal widespread group of all age groups killing more people than heroin and cocaineç combined. over 5 million americans abusing painkillers second only to those
3:45 pm
using marijuana. joining me now to offer insight on the challenges of addiction, christina wanslick about. >> thank you for having me. >> white house national drug policy website shows nearly 56% of americans getting prescription drugs for nonmedical use from friends or relatives. how on earth do we put a stop to this? >> it's a difficult issue and it's large and it's significant. addiction is generational. i have worked with families where you addicted grandparents and parents and children. it's a baffling issue and i think, to be frank with you, one of the hardest parts of intervention on this issue that we, as a culture, have become entitled. we have a severe entitlement to being comfortable. discomfort any kind, physical or emotional, is untollerable to us. so we can find doctors that will prescribe medication for any
3:46 pm
ailment, from restless leg syndrome to fiber myalgia and everything else in between. so parents find help, children get into it, it happens all the time. >> one -- speaking of children, christina, one of the big issues the disposal of medication by adults because children seem to go into the medicine cabinet at home and simply excavate the cabinet and use these drugs. >> you're absolutely correct. it happens innocently, on a parent's behalf, for example, in my practice, i'll have women who have given, you know, childbirth and they have vicoden laying around or a c-section and they keep it laying around sometimes for years and you have a teen child who gets into that. so it can happen innocently and parents need to pay attention to that. the other thing that is abused often by young people are even like cough syrups. that's where it can begin, nyquil, cough syrups you have to pay attention to what you have in your house. disposing of medication is so
3:47 pm
important, take it back to your doctor, that would be the best way to do it you have medication left over. >> parents take responsibility. thank you again. now, look at this. someone paid over $13,000 for the will and kate pez dispenser. the wedding really is getting close. ♪ there's another way to minimize litter box odor: purina tidy cats. tidy cats premium line of litters now works harder to help neutralize odors in multiple-cat homes. and our improved formula also helps eliminate dust. so it's easier than ever to keep your house
3:48 pm
smelling just the way you want it. purina tidy cats. keep your home smelling like home. you've been stuck in the garage, while my sneezing and my itchy eyes took refuge from the dust in here and the pollen outside. but with 24-hour zyrtec®, i get prescription strength relief from my worst allergy symptoms. it's the brand allergists recommend most. ♪ lily and i are back on the road again. where we belong. with zyrtec®, i can love the air®. aren't absorbed properly unless taken with food. he recommended citracal. it's different -- it's calcium citrate, so it can be absorbed with or without food. also available in small, easy-to-swallow petites. citracal.
3:49 pm
3:50 pm
to the palace now. with nine days until the big event, the middleton family have literally been to the palace to meet the in-laws. katherine's parents had lunch with her majesty it the queen for the first time. joining us to shed light on the luncheon is celia walton. good afternoon. >> good afternoon. >> what can you tell us about this lunch date? >> well, it accepts li, it acee best things have been kept quiet
3:51 pm
just like the stag night. we had in idea it happened. it apparently happened last wednesday. the queen invited the middletons to windsor and it was a very small private lunch with the queen and prince philip which apparently went very well. but this was the meeting everyone was talking about and people were saying is it going to be theç first time they mee he abbey, which stroewould have awkward. >> as katherine becomes the most photographed woman in the world, a new poll out shows at least nine out of ten british women don't envy her at all. one would have thought anybody would love to have her assets and resources that come with being a member of the royal family. >> she's on the front cover of every single magazine, every fashion fee chur ature is how t like kate, but they don't envy her at all and the reasons for this they say is because the public scrutiny would be
3:52 pm
intolerable. they wouldn't want to be a royal. and the press intrusion, of course, would prove too much for them. >> i think they're probably right. >> yes. >> celia, thank you for joining us. and don't forget to check out the free abc news royal wedding app now available. and now in our play of the day, russia's answer to dancing with the stars. president dmitry medvedev in a danceoff to the pop hit american boy. while you may be impressed by his moves, there it's nothing compared to the late great boris yeltsin. enjoy. ♪ ♪ and a choice. take advil now... and maybe up to 4 in a day. or, choose aleve and 2 pills for a day free of pain.
3:53 pm
smart move. ♪ ♪ imagine zero pollutants in our environment. or zero dependency on foreign oil. ♪ this is why we at nissan built a car inspired by zero. because zero is worth everything. the zero gas, 100% electric nissan leaf. innovation for the planet. innovation for all. something that was drilled in me early on, you know, college is the place for you. it's my number one goal. ♪ students like me, who take these ap math and science classes and have these opportunities, this is where the american dream lies. when i write that book, you know, i plan to dedicate it to my school. ♪ those hopes and dreams that you have,
3:54 pm
you know, they're within reach. and i'm living proof. with heart-related chest pain or a heart attack known as acs, you may not want to face the fact that you're at greater risk of a heart attack or stroke. plavix helps protect people with acs against heart attack or stroke: people like you. it's one of the most researched prescription medicines. goes beyond what they do alone by helping to keep blood platelets from sticking and forming dangerous clots. plavix. protection against heart attack or stroke in people with acs. [ female announcer ] plavix is not for everyone. certain genetic factors and some medicines such as prilosec reduce the effect of plavix leaving you at greater risk for heart attack and stroke. your doctor may use genetic tests to determine treatment. don't stop taking plavix without talking to your doctor as your risk of heart attack or stroke may increase. people with stomach ulcers or conditions that cause bleeding should not use plavix. taking plavix alone or with some other medicines, including aspirin, may increase bleeding risk,
3:55 pm
which can potentially be life threatening, so tell your doctor when planning surgery. tell your doctor all medicines you take, including aspirin, especially if you've had a stroke. if fever, unexplained weakness or confusion develops, tell your doctor promptly. these may be signs of ttp, a rare but potentially life-threatening condition, reported sometimes less than two weeks after starting plavix. it's time clear the air.
3:56 pm
a year ago to the day some 50 miles off the arelouisiana shor line, an oil rig exploded. 11 workers lost their lives and a total of 5 million barrels of oil spewed into the gulf endangering sea life, tourism and the lives of ordinary working americans. the man responsible for managing the bp disaster was its chief executive and british based engineer called tony hayward. sadly, mr. hayward quickly proved himself to be incapable of handling the spillage of coffee, let alone a tragedy of these epic proportion. within a few week, he said, "i think the environment impact of this disaster is likely to be very, very modest." but oil and gas poured from the seabed for almost five months in total. two months into the oil spill, he was asked how much longer it would take and he replied impatiently"there's no one who
3:57 pm
wants this over more than do i. i'd like to get my life back." after that, the president made it clear what he thought. >> he wouldn't be working for me. >> hayward was forced to resign last october. he clearly hadn't coped with the disaster. he brought international disgrace upon bp and his public profile had been ruined. but then so had the gulf coast. next month mr. hayward will celebrate his 54th birthday on may the 21st. under the terms of his contract, he will only have to wait one more year for the full proceeds of his private pension. and how much will that beç interest are you ready? he will receive $979,839 every year for the rest of his life. it's often said that chief executives are paid the big bucks because they take the big
3:58 pm
decisions. they carry the main burden of responsibility and, therefore, they deserve the money. so what happens when disaster strikes and the chief executive proves himself to be an abject failure? in this case, he gets to pick up almost a million dollars a year for the rest of his life. one might have thought that a sense of shame would force mr. hayward to dough mate some of that pension to those livesimat but remember, this is a man who wouldn't cancel a yautsing race in the uk even though he was supposed lir in charge of bp's desperate efforts to cap that rig. though it pains knee say this, given the warm relationship that exists between our governments, america was badly let down by this british chief exec. and while he may yet sail off into the sunset with his millions of dollars, none of us will ever forget that he barely earned a dollar of that
3:59 pm
excessive pension. thanks for watching. dylan ratigan picks up things from here. and i know that you spoke to the conservative crusader yesterday. how did you find him? >> i found him a little confusing. i find the entire tea party confusing and their refusal to go after the ol garky. i feel like we have a room full of people that want to have theelt pro wrestling fights over minor issues when they claim to be upset with too wig to fill banks and get i never see help do might go about it. so it's a confusing time. the truth of the matter is i don't see many democrats doing much about it either/or republicans. i'm kind of baffled as to why nobody wants to deal with the big fish and everybody seems so keen to have allç sorts sdri h skirmishes. but thank you ve

131 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on